1. To participate in setting and carrying out commercial policies in a way that achieves the efficiency and effectiveness for the sector and leads to diversification of the production base and boosts constructive competition among its institutions; and reinforce the role of the private sector and its contribution to the national economy.
2. To suggest issuing commercial systems and regulations, review the systems and regulations applied. To supervise applying all the commercial systems whether they were issued before establishing the Ministry of Commerce or after that such as Commercial System, Companies System, Commercial Registry System, Commercial Franchise System, Commercial Chambers System, Trademarks System, Hotels System, Trade Securities System, Commercial Fraud Combat System, Cover-up Combat System, Calibration and Metrology System, Precious Metals and Gems, Legal Accountants System, Trading Books System, Arbitration System, Professional Companies System, Israel Boycott System, Relation between the Contractors and their Saudi Agent, Bankruptcy Protection Reconciliation System, among other systems for regulations and instructions determining the commerce and provision work, and the relations associated with the businessmen's community.
3. To regulate means of supervising the development of domestic trade markets and protecting them against exploitation and monopoly and to control prices. To review ways of commercial practices and develop methods and procedures in line with the public interest.
4. To issue licenses necessary for setting up the commercial chambers and their branches; and to follow up the activities of all the chambers and their budget and supervise the elections of their boards. To approve their organization of exhibitions and markets and their participation in the conferences related to their activity. To organize and receive commercial delegates and set up training centers, and all that can contribute to advancing and developing commerce and industry in line with the provisions of the commercial, industrial chambers system.
5. To develop the foreign trade relations with all the sisterly and friendly countries and advance them in a way that copes with the fast-moving changes and developments on the international economic arena and protects the Kingdom's interests in all regional and international forums.
6. To supervise the Kingdom's admission to the World Trade Organization (WTO) and the work of the National Committee for Commerce and Finance and the Standing Committee for Economic and Commercial Cooperation of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (COMCEC), and the chairmanship of the Saudi side in a number of joint committees for economic, commercial, and technical cooperation; according to the Prime Minister's Decree No. 100 and No. 101 on 28/11/1995 and the Royal Decree No. 5/1052 on 6/6/1996, No. 5/2417 on 30/11/1995, No. 5/5747 on 24/9/1995, and No. 9 on 29/11/1996.
7. To boost up procedures which help develop the non-oil exports, improve the trade balance with all the world's countries, and provide access to new markets for national products and participate in preparing the economic and commercial agreements with the other countries and prepare and review the lists of the exchanged commodities in cooperation with the concerned bodies. To issue certificates of origin for all national commodities.
8. To participate in the work and meetings of the international and regional institutions and organizations, the joint commercial and economic committees, the meetings held within the framework of the Gulf Cooperation Council in implementation of the economic cooperation agreement, as well as the commercial and economic meetings prepared within the framework of the Islamic conference and Arab League. To make the necessary arrangements in order to receive the official commercial and economic delegates visiting the Kingdom, and provide the necessary information for the Ministry's delegates when visiting the foreign countries.
9. To study the requests presented by the government bodies, national and foreign organizations to organize temporary exhibitions in the Kingdom and abroad. To issue the necessary licenses for that according to the Royal Decree informed through Prime Minister’s letter No. 16556 on 19/1/1961. To evaluate the invitations presented by Arab and foreign countries in order to participate in international exhibitions and supervise participation in them in cooperation with the concerned bodies .
10. To appoint Commercial Attachés at the Saudi embassies abroad in coordination with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
11. To provide services for businessmen and the specialized government bodies, and provide them with the data, statistics, information, and reports issued by external bodies with regard to all what serves the Kingdom in terms of economic, commercial, financial, and industrial affairs; and to study and analyze the information and how effective it is on the Saudi economy.
12. To estimate the Kingdom's needs of commodities and materials, prepare the necessary plans to provide them at ordinary times and otherwise for all the Kingdom's regions, from the best sources and with least prices; and to monitor their stock and follow up the letter of credits and the actual stock of commodities and materials. This is in line with the Royal Decree No. 33556, on 25/5/1959, and the Prime Minister's Decree No. 60, on 1/3/1973, and No. 787 on 24/5/1975, and No. 855 on 26/5/1976.
13. To follow up supply and demand of commodities and materials in global markets, take the necessary measures to secure the demands of the local markets, and monitor them and determine the best sources to provide them in cooperation and coordination with businessmen and commercial and industrial chambers.
14. To monitor the quality of commodities and materials, conduct inspection and laboratory tests to food, iron, perfumes, pharmaceuticals, radiation testing, among other imported commodities and materials; and to make sure of their validity for consumption and their conformity with the Saudi and global industrial standards. This is in line with the Royal Decree No. 506, 1406 AH.
15. To study the requests of establishing companies and branches for them, auditing their contracts, and completing the procedures of establishment and amendment; and to encourage the establishment of more joint-stock companies which have economic potential, also the national companies and hi-tech-oriented companies, along with encouraging the merging of companies and the individual bodies into large entities. This is in order to provide the capital required and complete the establishment, specialization, registration procedures, monitor their work, scrutinize the budgets of the joint stock companies, partnership limited by shares, and limited liability companies, supervise the work of company liquidation, and carry out the provisions of Companies System.
16. To study the requests of company registration and individual bodies, and their branches in all the economic activity sections and issue registration, amendment, renewal, and deletion certificates, and have them monitored; and to detect irregularities and carry out the provisions of the Commercial Registry System.
17. To study requests of the foreign companies, and launch scientific and technical offices for them in the Kingdom, as well as the requests sent to the Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MCI) with regard to launching representative offices and completing statutory procedures for them.
18. To study the contracts and documents of the executive and consulting companies, and those contracted with the government bodies, issue the necessary licenses to have offices registered for them in the Kingdom, renew licenses and finish them, study the contracts of the commercial agents, and have them registered.
19. To study requests and contracts of the commercial agencies and complete the registration procedures for all kinds of agencies, and all the amendments they undergo; and to issue the necessary registration certificates, monitor the work of commercial agencies, detect irregularities, and adjudicate the public interest litigation, and carry out the provisions of the system
20. To study requests of trademark registration and have them examined thoroughly; and to have them classified, registered, protected, and follow up the latest about trademarks in terms of transfer, commissioning, or changing, and monitor the usage of trademarks; and to combat their counterfeit and detect irregularities according to the system.
21. To study requests of the professional company establishment and have their contracts examined and registered; and to follow up on their data updates in terms of amendments, and to supervise the work of their classification and carry out the vocational companies provisions.
22. To study license requests of launching liberal professions offices with all their kinds such as engineering accounting, legal consultations, and others; and have them registered; and to follow up on their updates in terms of amendment, renewal, or deletion, develop these professions, and carry out the provisions of the rules and the decisions and instructions issued about them
23. To issue the necessary licenses for public service offices and have them registered.
24. To study investment projects in terms of hotel projects and their economic feasibility, and issue the decisions of establishing and registering hotels and lounges after having them established and equipped; and to issue the decisions of classifying and pricing for hotels and have them monitored with the aim of upgrading their services and providing them with safety terms, and make sure of their implementing for the provisions of the Hotels system.
25. To apply the decimal system for weights and measures, examine, and monitor the weight and measurement devices with gas station pumps included.
26. To study the license requests of gold shops and forges and have them registered; and to monitor the gold artifacts hallmark and have them examined and analyzed; and to issue licenses for those working at the precious metals forges and gems.
27. To combat the commercial fraud with all its forms and detect irregularities by detection bodies all over the Kingdom's cities and have them verified; and to issue the adjudication decisions of all fraud cases through the committees set up for that, in cooperation with concerned bodies.
28. To participate in combating cover-up and detect its cases, and investigate them; and to issue the adjudication decisions of cover-up cases through the committees set up for that
29. To study the trade securities cases: check, promissory note, and work on solving them peacefully through Protest Offices; and to issue the adjudication decisions with regard to the cases that are hard to be solved, and the cassation decisions through the adjudication committees and offices regarding the commercial papers cases.
30. To study insurance complaints and the complaints submitted by the national and external companies and bodies related to foreign trade; and to work on settling disputes in a friendly way or through arbitration.
31. To study requests of the automatic and semi-automatic bakeries and issue the necessary licenses for that; and to monitor their implementation.
32. To issue certificates of origin for national exports in terms of the industrial, agricultural, and animal products; and the wealth of the Gulf Cooperation Council and the other Arab countries, and the world's states; and to have them registered.
33. To register, tabulate, classify, and disseminate the information of commodity trading and services; and provide them to the concerned bodies; and issue reports on that, and to issue fliers and posters related to commercial dealing and consumer's awareness means; and to familiarize with standards and material and commodity formulation.